My passion for creativity and meeting new people is what led me to my career which started in 2003. I went to Phagan's school of hair design just outside of Portland. I then went on to work at Dosha Salon and Spa in Portland where I was educated under some of the top stylists in Aveda. I feel that I excelled at coloring, cutting and styling hair of all types as well as going "outside of the box" when it comes to hair creativity. After a few years of working there, the Navy took my husband and I to Virginia Beach, Virginia where I contined to work in an Aveda salon and began mentoring apprentices in the salon. I have a passion for what I do and try to advance my techniques by taking classes all throughout the year with Redken, Goldwell and Pureology, just to name a few. I also enjoy doing special occasion hair, including weddings. I take pride in my work and I always try to give my clients a relaxing experience during their visit with me. I love to get to know new people and connect with them...doing their hair in the process is an added bonus!

My schedule consists of Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays, however, I am flexible throughout the week, so please don't be hesitant to ask if you need an appointment outside of my regular days or hours. I would also love to connect with my clients on my business facebook page at facebook.com/maggiemorganhair

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wedding hair tips and styles for 2011

It may seem like it is a little early to start thinking of wedding hair for a summer wedding, but it is actually the perfect time to start thinking about what style and look you are going for. Whether it's needing time to grow the hair a bit or cutting it shorter to make the updo perfect for your wedding day. A lot of people think that longer is better, but that is not always the case. Depending on the style desired, too long of hair can be a burden and make putting the hair up much, much harder. Sometimes, having to hide a lot of hair inside of the updo can really cause a head ache. We may also need to layer the hair depending on the style desired. It will make the hair lighter and give it a good shape for the updo. Talk to me know about what you are wanting and I can help steer you in the right direction as far as length  and shape goes.

About 6 months out is a good time to start achieving the color you want for the wedding.  Sometimes, the desired color requires a few visits to the salon to get it to the perfect shade. In some situations, you don't want to go from dark brown to light blonde in one day... it will be a process to get there, not to mention the stress to the hair.  Going from light to dark, make sure that is done months before the wedding and then refreshed just before the wedding day. 

We want the hair to be as healthy and shiny as it can be on the wedding day. If you color your hair, it is especially important to do a treatment conditioner on your hair once or twice per week. I do deep conditioning treatments in the salon catered to your hair. Ask me about which one is right for you.


Here are some of the top styles we will see for 2011



Gone are the days of a tight french twist or "prom-y" curls on top of the head.
One style that is really trendy now is a low style, which is curled. Some are even pulled to the side of the head. These photos range from a more secured look, to a very loose, undone look (yet very secure- to hold all day and night!)
These styles are modern, yet classy and sophisticated



 Ahh.. the Taylor Swift curl... the curl everyone wants. No one wants ringlet curls anymore. These give a natural wavy look. They require curling the hair in different way than we are all used to. You wrap the hair around the rod of the iron. I have a special iron to create these waves.






Another trend for 2011 is a vintage look. These are finger waves with a modern twist, giving it a looser effect.  


Updo's with braids are also very popular. Braids can be incorporated into a low style like shown or a wavy style that is left all down

This shows styles that are wavy and left all down, or a few pieces pinned back.


Hair accessories are a HUGE trend right now. Whether it's flowers, a vintage broach or a head band, an accessory can add some flair to the 'do.  It is also a great option to dress up short hair that is unable to go up in any way.




It is not too early to start thinking about your hair for your wedding day! I can do bridal hair in the salon or on location for a small travel fee. I also provide my brides with a "bridal emergency kit" which includes extra bobby pins, a travel hairspray and a nail file.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I made that Taylor swift bun on a friend’s wedding. These are some great styles. Thanks for sharing this. I get very confused when it comes to hair styling and getting ready. I am a person who remains in tights all day long. It’s difficult for me and I am also getting married this year. I have given the responsibility of finding one of the best San Francisco venues for my wedding and my sister is looking for a dress. I am such a shame, but it’s fun!

    ReplyDelete